Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Techniques Tuesday: Crochet Cables

Thought you might be interested to see how the cables in the baby blanket from yesterday's post are done, so hopefully these photos will help you picture it.

In this row, I'm doing a right cross cable, which involves doing 3 front post double trebles (trebles for our US friends) behind 3 front post double trebles.

First off, thought I'd show you how to do a front post treble (dc) - basically it's the same as a regular treble, but rather than putting the hook through the top of the stitch, it goes behind the post of the stitch (ie from the front, round the back, and out the front again):
Then you skip the next 3 stitches, and do a front post dtr into each of the next 3 stitches:
The next part is the tricky bit - it took me a few goes to work it out. You have to do a front post dtr into each of the 3 stitches you skipped - but they have to be done behind the 3 you've just done - it's the behind bit that's the troublemaker!

First off, wrap the yarn around the hook twice, then you need to sort of twist the hook back, insert in the upside down v where that 3 stitch space is, and wrap it around the post of stitch 1 (as if to do a front post dtr - because that's what you are doing!):
Then, in order to work the dtr, you need to fold the 3 dtr stitches already done forwards, so you can see the hook and the wraps around the hook, so you can work the dtr. I've taken the photo from the back so that hopefully you can see what it looks like:
You work the next 2 dtr the same way:
And then do it all over again - skip the next 3 stitches and so on (this will also stretch out the stitches worked behind the others):
At the end of the row, it looks a bit messy:
But the return row (which is back post trebles) neatens it up nicely and helps define the cables:
So there you go! Clear as mud! (and in case you were wondering, I decided to go with the red - but of course!)

14 comments:

Bells said...

that's an excellent tutorial. Really clear with helpful photos. I am definitely going to have to try it some time because I'd like to add that to my crochet skills. Nice work.

And of course you're going for the red. Duh.

MadMad said...

Wow - cool! And it makes such a pretty fabric, too!

2paw said...

I don't think I will ever do this, but if I need to, I know where to come. I think the red was the only choice really!!!

Michelle said...

You're speaking my language (the crochet language) and I think that's cool.

Also - red? Are you sure? I'm so surprised!!!!! *snort*

Donna Lee said...

I like the way it looks. I haven't croheted anything in a long while and you've made it look intriguing.

Anonymous said...

This was so helpful. If I ever crochet cables, I know where to look.

Easy crochet gal said...

I Love the look of this. I have never tried doing cable work but plan to now...you have give me inspiration!

LynS said...

This is so impressive. I can't imagine ever developing my very limited crocheting skills to this level - this is a whole other level of proficiency.

Ann said...

Thank you for the tutorial. The cables look so good. I have just learn crochet & I am hooked. Now I am torn between knitting & crochet!

kim said...

Wow, I have a new-found respect for crochet. That is amazing. I didn't even know you could create such intricate stitches with crochet. That is amazing.

Aussie Maria said...

Thanks for doing this tutorial. I was intruiged about how it was done. Will use it for something I have in mind

Em said...

Thanks for the great tutorial, it always helps to be able to see something, rather than just picture it in your head. I'm amazed you chose to go with the red, it's so out of character for you! ;)

Shanna said...

Do you have a braided line across the back of the fabric, or am doing something wrong?

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial, but I'm still getting a back post dc when I try to work behind. And I know that's not right.This is driving me crazy! Help!