Friday, May 02, 2008

Spindle Socks, v.2

So after the debacle of the first sock, I fortunately had no problems with v2 of these socks, made for Kuka's CanAssist sock drive.Details
Pattern: Spindle Socks by Anna Bell - a great cable sock pattern - very quick and easy, thanks to the slipping of the stitch which you end up cabling - makes it much easier. And the sportweight yarn and bigger sticks helps too! If I was making these again, I'd probably do the legs one or two repeats longer, but I wasn't sure how much yarn I'd have left so played it safe and just did as the pattern said.
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in a gorgeous red - colour 340700 - 2 x 50g balls
Sticks: 3mm KnitPicks Harmony dpns.
Time: Leaving aside the time for the first unfortunate sock, these took 20 days - mainly knit on the bus too! Started on 1 April and finished on 20 April - yay!
What I learnt: Trust my instincts on gauge!
I hope the person who receives these truly finds them a warm hug for their feet. Despite the frogging, I really enjoyed making these socks and put lots of warm thoughts into them.

15 comments:

Bells said...

they were duly handed to Kuka last night who was very grateful. She loved your band (which I copied).I love the socks and plan to make some myself. How appropriate yours were red!

Olivia said...

Ooh, I got to fondle those last night! they are delicious. Very generous knitting.

Donna Lee said...

I am sure whoever gets to wear those sock will love them. Handknit socks really do hug your feet. And we all need a hug.

Ann said...

Love the socks & the pattern looks great. I like your special packaging - very innovative & I may have to copy it for my next sock gift. Thanks for the inspiration.

secrethandshake said...

those look so soft, love the color ;)

amy said...

I love the color, too. Beautiful socks. They LOOK warm and squishy! I can just imagine how they feel!

TinkingBell said...

Lovely - you'd be warm in those even before you put them on!

Kuka said...

ooooh RR, these socks are divine!!
I'm sure that the recipient will be delighted!
I think the band is a beautiful idea =)

Lynne said...

I'll join the chorus: love the colour, love the socks and thanks for being so generous!

kim said...

They look perfect! I like the idea of using sportweight yarn. I'm sure the recipient will love them!

Queen of the froggers said...

They look lovely. The yarn looks so nice.

del said...

What a great gift! I love the color...they're absolutely beautiful.

MadMad said...

I love the wrapper idea!

Diana said...

Very nice pattern and your wrapper is great. I think I have some of that yarn, big yarn, big needles for socks, good idea!!!

amanda j said...

What wonderful generosity. They are truly lovely and bright socks. The recipient is sure to love them!