Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Day in My Life: 14 May

It's that time again - my, it does come around quickly. So the 14th this month is a Wednesday, which is a work day - although today I worked from home, which makes work so much better!

As I didn't have to travel to work this morning, I had a little sleep in - which was great, except it did make it that bit harder to get up - the snooze button did got a workout, I'm afraid.

I don't always feel like eating breakfast as soon as I get up, but I must have coffee, so I put the jug on and had a couple of biscuits while I logged in to work and checked my emails. The second great thing about working from home is that you can go to work in your pyjamas - which is just what I did!
After an hour or two I made some toast and a nice pot of peach tea - mmm peachy! As it was warm I took my work out on the deck, where I stayed until lunchtime, when the sun came over and it was too glary (oh, how hard working at home is!)This is my favourite new thing - the blue internet cord. I love it! We have wireless internet set up but in the last few months it has been really patchy, just not working, or dropping out frequently. So husby bought the magic blue cord - it stretches from one end of the house to the other, and outside as well. Yay! Unfortunately, the computer cord not quite as long, so I had to be very careful not to trip on it!
I know technology gets a bad rap sometimes because of the way it has speeded up work, and made it harder to get truly away from work. I think that is true, particularly in some professions and industries, but for me it's more a tool to help me work more efficiently and effectively. At work I sit in an open plan office so when I've got a big job to do that involves lots of writing and concentrating, working from home can make my work so much easier.

Over my "lunch break" I finished off the last couple of rows of a scarf I've been knitting, and washed and blocked it quickly - the first time using my lace blocking kit! I should have threaded the wires through each stitch along the edge of the scarf, but didn't want to spend an hour on it! Hopefully it will dry by tomorrow so I can flash it at work!
I spent a little time planning out the document I have to write - I've always found it somewhat difficult to start the writing - at school, on uni essays, and so on - but once I get some words on paper, it seems to flow a lot better from that point, and it was the same today. I'd done the pre-reading and work, and the thoughts have been rolling around in my head for the last few days, so they came out ok in the end.

Made another coffee at about 4pm and put in a final burst before the news. I always work better later in the afternoon, so felt like I got a lot done - except for a (thankfully) short period when the two little girls who live next door decided to have a squealing competition, interspersed by the older one singing at the top of her voice and playing the recorder. I know this sounds intolerant but (as a confessed former recorder player in primary school) is the recorder not the most annoying "musical" instrument ever?! Oh my!

I promised husby roast lamb for dinner, so put that on once the news was finished - lamb and lots of roast vegies - potato, sweet potato, pumpkin and carrot (and then peas and corn towards the end). Yesterday I finished the first skein of the yummy Blue Sky Alpaca which Kim gave me, so while the roast was cooking I wound the second skein and sat down to watch my latest guilty pleasure tv (shhhh, don't tell anyone...) Big Brother. I know, it can be crap but you know, it can be good. The sort of thing you can tune out of when it's bad or tune in when it is interesting.

Served up dinner - carved the lamb very badly - normally that's husby's job but he was on the phone. Not to worry, it all eats the same, as my mum would say! And cut some up for Nelly as well, so she wouldn't be miow-miowing round our feet as we ate. Forgot to take a photo but it was delicious!

Knit in front of Spicks and Specks and then flipped on Foxtel to watch American Idol - they are down to the last three and each of them are really good - I'd find it hard to choose who to vote for if I could vote (yep, I am a total sucker for (most) reality tv!!). I think both the Davids will get through to the finals though.

Normally I'd have a cup of tea around 9.30 but not tonight. Husby bought me home a little bar of Green & Black's Organic chocolate - yum!! I just popped the last piece into my mouth! I'll watch the West Wing (I do love my Foxtel too!) and then toddle off to bed.

17 comments:

Linda said...

I love reading your day in the life of posts, this is a nice one. Can I pop over next time for that lovely roast dinner you described?! I might do this on my blog ...

SadieandLance said...

Oh yes the recorder totally sucks - or blows as it may be. What is it with that instrument and the need for every primary school student to learn to play it? Weird.

I like your day in the life posts.

And hey I'm down with being smug!! Absolutely down with it! :)

SadieandLance said...

Forgot to add....Big Brother? Shame on you! I thought we were indulging in Home and Away together?

Anonymous said...

Oh, there is just so very much to comment on in this post. First - Idol - I was so bummed with the Aussilicious Michael Johns got canned. But the Davids (either one) are the clear winners here.

Also, the blue wire... We found that the power booster on the cable box was interfering with the wireless. We just moved a few wires, and the problem was solved. No more big, blue wire!

I so cherish the days I can work from home, which are few and far between. I can't wait to see what you've made with the "alpacky."

Rachel said...

hello, I'm a lurker. :-)
will you post what pattern you used for the scarf? It is lovely!!

Donna Lee said...

I wish I had the opportunity to work from home although I think there are so many distractions that not much work would get done.

Alwen said...

Mmm, love the scarf! It shows off the yarn so well.

MadMad said...

That sounds like a busy day! I hate recorders. I don't know who invented them, but I have a feeling there was a revenge motive behind his reasoning...

Sarah said...

I'm with you on the benefits of escaping the open plan office for big pieces of work - am now hankering for a laptop so I can sit in the garden on days at home :o)

Bells said...

You didn't mention all the bragging you did via email about how great your day was!!

You know, I have always pictured you in an office of your own - not open plan. The things you learn!

BB - shame on you RR! Shame on you!

Scarf is look marvellous. Hope it wears well today!

ditto on the recorder. Ugh.

amanda j said...

I am among a rare breed. I loved playing the recorder as a kid, and my brother and I even entered the local music comps with a duet! My parents must have had the patience of saints!

What work do you do? I am waiting for my job to go online. Behaviour management would be so much easier this way!

What a lovely scarf!

Snoozen said...

Sounds like a fun day filled with loads of yummy delights. I reckon with regard to the recorder and being a family that owns a recorder just join in. Buy one and when they start up just get your own out doesn't seem nearly as bad.

catsmum said...

sounds like a really good work day - I missed Spicks and Specks cos I was late home from choir practice - bugger.

Kate said...

I was ditto on the recorder until I heard a recorder suite (music from King Henry VIII) played by a group of teritary music students. Beuatiful. Still don't want to hear kids playing, though I'm bound to at some stage.

Deets on the scarf, please. It looks beautiful!

Michele said...

i'm so late with this but it's lovely to read about your day. and yes i agree the recorder is the most annoying instrument made. when we had to play them in school i would fake blow into it because i was useless at instruments but also because i didn't like the sound of them. the teacher was always coming by and telling me to play it for real and not pretend.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to be able to work from home!!! I love the scarf, it's beautiful in colour and pattern!!!
I love The West Wing!!

Lynne said...

I agree, recorders are the most annoying instrument. At my last school, we taught recorders from Yr 1 to Yr 4, then guitar for Years 5 and 6. Let me assure you that fifteen out-of-tune guitars were more tolerable than an equal number of squeaky recorders!