Pattern: Garter Stitch Blanket from Simple Knits for Little Cherubs by Erika Knight. I modified the pattern a fair bit - instead of 7 strips with 7 squares, with every alternate strip being the same (if you know what I mean!), I made it 8 strips with 8 squares, and the squares were random, rather than being in a regular pattern. I also added a border once the strips were sewn up with mitred square corners.All up it measures 129cm/51" x 119cm/47". And I haven't actually blocked it yet, which I'll probably do tomorrow if the weather is good.
Yarn: Cleckheaton Machinewash 8ply - 28 x 50g balls!!! I fell in love with the orange colour (2243), and then picked the others to contrast with it and match our lounge and cushions. So cream (0050), stone/latte (1394), mossy green (2264) and chocolate brown (2252) joined in. Then I picked up my colour pencils and sketched out the design. I probably should have taken more time with it, but I wanted a fairly random looking design and I just don't have the patience to do detailed colour and pattern matching. If I was doing it again, I'd probably do mitred squares or log cabin style - maybe for my next blanky.Sticks: 4.25mm bamboo straights for the strips - many of which were done in the car on short trips, using a little booklight when it was dark - because garter stitch is the easiest knitting to do when you don't have much light! 4.5mm KP Harmony Options for the border strips and mitred square corners - thank goodness for extra long cables!!
Time: Oh goodness! I can't even remember when I started this project! To the best of my knowledge, it was about January 2006. It could have even been January 2005, I honestly don't remember!! But I know when I finished it!! Today! So at least 2.5 years but quite possibly 3.5 years!!
What I learnt: Well, I already knew this but it reminded me how much I hate seaming and sewing in ends. I kept all the ends just to show you how many:Yes, that is 16g of yarn just in ends!! Oh my! It took me over an hour to sew each strip together and darn in all the ends! Next time, because I think there has to be another one, since husby has claimed this and clearly I need a blanky too, I'll be doing a log cabin style probably using Bendigo yarn. No seaming and far fewer ends!
Actually, I can't believe I'm already thinking about making another blanket, with this one having taken so long - and so many other things in the queue - I must be some sort of crazy person!!