Thursday, September 20, 2007

Decisions decisions...

A while back I bought 4 balls of Jo Sharp Alpaca Kid Lustre in the most fabulous shade of orange, intending to use it to make the Backyard Leaves scarf from Scarf Style, a pattern I've admired for some time.

I cast on the scarf last week, using 5mm sticks. While I love knitting this (such a great pattern), I'm not so sure that the yarn/pattern combination is a marriage made in heaven. I think the yarn is a bit too fuzzy/foofy for the pattern, which probably works best in a smooth merino yarn (as originally specified!!). I also wondered if I should use smaller sticks (say, 4.5mm).

While I was in Canberra last weekend, I took the opportunity of asking Lulu (notorious admirer of pretty things) what she thought.
After puzzling over it for some time, she was pretty sure she loved it.But Bells, Jejune and Georgie shared my concerns. So, just to be sure it's not just a gauge problem, I've done 1-1/2 repeats using the 4.5mm sticks and to be honest, I can't see much difference (couldn't get a good pic in overcast light for comparison purpose, sorry!). Which I think means I have to frog...

What do you think? I really want to use this yarn for a scarf, preferably one that is not too wide, with a pattern that is a bit open but not overly lacey or structured. I'm thinking it might go nicely in the Midwest Moonlight pattern (also from Scarf Style). Or possibly this, which quite fortuitously I saw on Cozy's Place today. Opinions? Other possibilities?

11 comments:

Bells said...

maybe you could give the scarf to Lulu!

I think maybe you are indecisive about this scarf and should try something else for a while.

or just give it up and try it in a smoother yarn.

Linda said...

I love the yarn but I think that anything lacy in it will not show up too well due to the fuzziness. I think just a very simple stocking stitch or garter stitch. The midwest moonlight pattern is lovely though!

Anonymous said...

I'll bring my mum's Backyard Leaves scarf to SnB. I used the specified yarn and it's divine! [Which means I'll definitely have to come now...]

amanda j said...

Oh geez. I am bad at making decisions. The Dipsy Doodle scarf is lovely . . .

Anonymous said...

Teehee, I was just going to suggest the Midwest Moonlight scarf, but I see you've already got it on the list :) The other scarf looks lovely too, I like the combination of cables and lace!

(Although, from the picture your backyard leaves scarf looks fine to me! Can still see the textures?)

Denise said...

I love the Midwest Moonlight one - is it worth doing a few pattern swatches?

Lulu says "Meeeeeeeeehhh, maaah, maaaah maah!" Yeah, I know, just ignore her.

Anonymous said...

I've made this scarf three times, and I have to admit that it came out best when I used the yarn it called for, which was just scrumptious to knit with. Have you thought about the Branching Out scarf from Knitty?

Also, whenever I see LuLu, I want to make one of those Estonian Sheep puppets. She is so adorable!

Anonymous said...

this is a really good question - thanks for giving us to chance to sound in on it.

i was going to do a post this winter on the Midwest Moonlight pattern - i love this pattern but think the yarn choice in the book is way off. it looks much better in silk or rayon - then you really get the drape.

i think the Backyard Leaves also needs a non-fuzzy yarn like a silk or rayon or hemp or ramie or cotton. lots of choices there.

but it looks like the cable and lace scarf would be perfect for your yarn. and i'd stay with the bigger sticks.

Diana said...

I did the Midwest Moonlight scarf in an alpaca so that 'hairy' might work for that one! Don't you hate it when you've got that many rows and suddenly you don't think it will work? I have done that a couple times even over the last couple days.
I do love Lulu and just visited the link with her in all that stolen jewelry!!!

Anonymous said...

I know about the alpaca! It feels so good but sometimes doesn't lend itself to good detail work.

That color is gorgeous...I can see why you want a scarf out of it.

Anonymous said...

The Midwest Moonlight works really well with a fuzzy wool, I can highly recommend the pattern!!!