Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Odd Socks, happy feet

When I was staying with my mum earlier this month I finally had a chance to finish my brother's Christmas present - odd socks. He has worn odd socks ever since he moved out of home, because he couldn't see the point of pairing his socks. Of course, now I'm pretty sure he (or his wife) pairs his odd socks. Heh!

He mentioned that he'd love a pair of knitted socks and so I thought I'd do odd socks - same yarn but different patterns, with my usual red toe. Even different heel and toe styles! Unfortunately, I couldn't get much detail in the pics.
I'm pretty happy with the way both turned out, and more importantly, that they fit him!

Details:
Patterns: Right foot: Gentleman's Half Hose in Ringwood Pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush; Left foot: Garter Stitch Rib sock from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. Both very easy patterns to remember and good "boy" patterns.
Yarn: Regia Royal, colour Nottingham (I think), 1 x 100g ball - I love this yarn - it has great colour variations and subtle stripes.
Sticks: 2.5mm dpns
Time: It's been so long, I actually can't remember when I started these - around October I think. Finished on 7 February 2007.
What I learnt: I did a star toe on the Ringwood socks, which I love - both the way it looks and because it is so easy. It is a longer toe than the normal wedge toe (which is on the Garter Rib socks) but makes a nice shape.

2 comments:

Jo said...

They turned out really well. I haven't thought about doing odd socks before... it's a great idea.

Anonymous said...

I love the red toes! Great job!