Monday, February 19, 2007

Mother Rose Red: Domestic Goddess Pt 3 - Peach Jam

Mum is staying with us at the moment and so she is taking over the Domestic Goddess duties this week (although it's a bit of a cheat, as is not from Nigella's book, but hey, it's home-made jam, that's pretty domestic-goddessy!).


Mmmmm peach jam - my favourite - very difficult to buy commercially so I usually have to rely on markets - which means usually it's home-made - that's better anyway!

Every year Mum buys a whole bunch of peaches from her peach man in Forbes. Usually she stews them all and freezes them. I'm not a big fan of stewed peaches so I requested jam instead. So the peaches came up with us to Sydney and here we go, peach jam!

1 kilo of peaches and about the same of sugar, plus a squeeze of lemon juice to help it set. Pretty simple, although I have to admit I've never made jam. Maybe next year...

And what you end up with - two lovely jars of jam - and the lids don't lie: "premium quality" (heee!) Afternoon tea on Saturday was peach jam on toast. Mmmmmm peach jam.

1 comment:

Mary the Digital Knitter said...

If you like peach jam, you'll love homemade peach ice cream. It's really got that fresh peach flavor. I think of peaches as tasting of summer.